All studying is not created equal. There are ways that you can study for success, and other ways that are much less likely to give you the results that you want. Consider the following tips.
Study without distraction
Some people study while surrounded by way too much going on.
- They may study in a loud place or near their friends, stopping every few seconds to join in on the conversation.
- They may be studying online and surfing the Internet at the same time, taking frequent breaks to check their e-mail and respond.
- They may answer their ever-ringing phone or get up to let people into the house.
When you allow yourself to be distracted constantly as you are studying, you may have difficulty absorbing the material.
It is very difficult to focus on the subject if you are constantly being bombarded by other things. Also, it will take a lot longer because many people have difficulty getting back into their studies when their mind goes to something else.
To study for success you should find a quiet place.
- You can hide in your dorm room, or if there is too much going on, consider the library.
- You should turn off your phone or only answer it for emergencies.
- You should not allow yourself to surf the Internet and turn off your e-mail program.
When you study with such a great focus you will probably not need to spend as much time studying overall to get as much of the information in.
Study at the right time of day for you
Some people are morning people and are more efficient and effective studiers then. Others are better at night. Make sure to find a time that is right for you.
Make sure that you are not hungry or tired so that you will be in top shape to absorb the material.
Try different study habits to find what is right for you
Different people absorb material in different ways.
Some are great at just reading it and getting it. Others like to quiz themselves. Still others use mnemonic devices.
Try all of these and other strategies to see what helps you retain the information.
Give yourself plenty of time to study
Do not procrastinate. When you wait until the last possible minute, you may not have enough time. If you feel pressure and rushed while you are studying, you may have trouble doing it effectively.
In order to do well in school, you should study for success. The above tips can help get you started.