It’s a Sunday night, and you haven’t yet started studying for the chemistry test you have on Monday. Plus you have two assignments due in your math class tomorrow. Does this sound like your situation every night? If it does, or if you just have trouble getting your schoolwork done, hopefully these tips will help you out.
- Visit the Library. It is one of the only places that you can visit and have complete silence. Believe me, you will be able to get work done more efficiently without the distractions of your roommates, or from that guy down the hall who never puts the Xbox™ controller down. The library also has plenty of resources, so take advantage of this.
- Schedule. Make time in your day to work on your homework. It is a good idea to schedule this time right when you get out of class, or when you have time between classes. By doing this, you will already be in “school mode” so it will be easier to get your work completed.
- Don’t Procrastinate. I used to do this all of the time, and it was really affecting my schoolwork in a negative way. Do not wait until the last minute to do your work. The work you get done won’t be of good quality, and procrastination can be stressful.
- Study with a partner. This is especially helpful because you can quiz one another on the material. This is a great way to learn and maintain information.
- Take Breaks. This is something that gets overlooked way too often. When you are studying or working on something, it is very important to take breaks. This gives your brain time to rest, and will ultimately help you retain the information better.
- Concentrate on one thing. Don’t think about the other three assignments you still have left to do. Instead, just knock out one thing at a time, and you will see your workload disappear in no time.
These six tips have really helped me become more efficient when doing my schoolwork. Hopefully they will do the same for you. If you have any other tips that you use to get work done more efficiently post them below, and maybe we can get a part two to this list soon.