How Do You Declare a Major?

For a student who starts as a freshman at a four-year school and has already decided on a major, it’s noted on the application. Those who are undecided when they begin their first year often will be required to go to the division office of the department they’ll be majoring in and fill out a form stating their intended major once they reach a decision. Those transferring to a four-year school from a community college normally will be required to state their major on their four-year application.

Students who begin at a two-year school will not be required to immediately declare what major they intend to later pursue at a four-year university, but it’s a good idea to let a counselor know what your intended major is, so they can help you choose the right courses to help you transfer.