Education is where you find it and never is this as true as you grow older. All you need is an imagination and a sense of adventure and determination never to become bored. Some adults may have outgrown their first education and now in later life need to take refresher courses.
Today, even those who have jobs and go to work every day still must keep up with what is happening in their field of work. But when you think about it, education is found in unlikely places and is not something that is turned on or off.
With that in mind, adult education is to bring those out of the workplace up to date about what is happening; it’s also about those older people who simply want to learn new skills.
Education sets out the principles, the guidelines, the rules, the facts, and after that everyone is on their own.
You can either build on these by being receptive to learning or you can shut your mind down and let nothing contrary, provocative, or slightly off course enter.
Those who are writers and who see the world as mostly undiscovered are awake to the possibilities within and will, as a rule, keep up with their educational needs.
A word of caution: Curiosity and the need to know in the young is often troublesome and hard to manage and requires careful understanding and guidance by parents and teachers.
In older folks, who have had enough past experiences with careless wandering into forbidden paths and who have learned how to guide their feet into paths of righteousness for His name’s sake, see all differences as potentials for learning.
Adult learners, in general, have all kinds of ways and means of bringing their education up to par with others:
- They can research online to find out the best places to learn
- They can go back to school at their local community college
- They might just settle for the classes taught by their employer along with regular training sessions
The Office of Vocational and Adult Education or OVAE is the first place to look when trying to decide where to get the courses that will be recognized by your employer or potential employer.
- Adult education is much more than academics, but professionally there must guidelines and rules to follow and places where potential workers can be brought up to a level of education that will allow them to fit into their particular field of endeavor.
- Adult education is the ability to pick up, on any subject, well learned, sampled, forgotten, new, or whatever and bring it up to an important level that makes us want to learn more.
On any given day adults face choices whether to continue learning the wrong thing in life or stop, do an about turn and learn fresh new ideas that will align them with others in their field. Perhaps their children are now in school, and they’d like to go back to work. But the workplace they once knew has changed. They must take refresher courses in order to get hired.
It sounds a little frightening at first, but adults who have managed to stay home and make their children their priority need not fear.
After the first few days back on the job with their new educational requirements behind them, or in the process, they will have no trouble catching up with the other workers.
In no time, they’ll be managing and helping others less educated than they are.